Lead Patination Oil 0.5L
Patination oil is an alkyd resin based liquid which, when applied to lead sheet, provides a permeable coating through which the metal surface will oxidise at a controlled rate. Over time this oxised layer develops into uniform dull grey adherent patina.
In damp conditions, untreated lead sheet will quickly generate a white carbonate layer, which rainfall will frequently transfer to neighbouring slates, tiles or brick work, causing unsightly stains. The oil should be applied to new leadwork before the end of the day of installation (preferably out of direct sunlight), before the unsightly carbonate has a chance to form. If the lead surface becomes wet before Patination Oil is applied, make sure it is thoroughly dried before you start applying the oil.
Advice on use
- Shake the container vigorously for about 2 minutes before use.
- Apply one coat only to the lead surface with a soft, clean cloth.
- Work across the lead surface, applying the Patination Oil from top to bottom of the installation in straight vertical lines. Don't apply in a circular motion as this will leave an uneven appearance.
- Remember to apply oil to the underside of the leading edges of leadwork and to cover lead clips and fixings.
- Leave for at least one hour to dry. Close the container tightly on completion of work.